Prepare to register your building
The Building Safety Act 2022 identifies new responsibilities for people and organisations who are responsible for the safety of high-rise residential buildings in England.
These responsibilities include registering high-rise residential buildings with the Building Safety Regulator.
The Act introduces two new roles – accountable persons (AP) and principal accountable persons (PAP).
It is the principal accountable person who will be required to register high-rise buildings from April 2023.
The Making Buildings Safer campaign is here to help you prepare. We can let you know when it’s time to register and provide helpful information.
Sign up for updates on high-rise building registration
What is an accountable person?
Accountable persons (AP) are the organisation or person who owns or are accountable for the building. APs are legally responsible for repairing or maintaining common parts of a building, for example, the exterior and structure, corridors or lobbies.
Principal accountable persons will register high-rise buildings
If a building has more than one accountable person (AP), the AP who owns the building, or is legally responsible for the structure and exterior of the building will be the principal accountable person (PAP).
When buildings have a single accountable person, that organisation or person is also the principal accountable person.
As well as their duties as an AP, the principal accountable person must:
- register existing high-rise buildings with the Building Safety Regulator
- register all new buildings and receive a completion certificate before they are lived in
Before you register
Before registering your high-rise building, you should think about the following:
- building name, address, and postcode
- building height, in metres
- number of floors in the building
- who is the principal accountable person?
- who are the accountable persons?
- which parts of the building are they responsible for?
- the year the building was completed (fully constructed)
- for new builds, confirmation of your completion certificate
Find out how to register your building
High-rise building registration opens in April 2023. We will keep you updated and let you know when it’s time to register.